Karuse Church

   

Karuse Church is similar to the medieval churches on the islands and is believed to be one of the oldest churches in Western Estonia. The single-arch church originates from the second half of the 13th century, with a beautiful, round 18th century chapel sitting in the churchyard.

Read more


Salevere Salumägi cliff

     

Salevere Salumägi is a cliff that has receded from the sea and that is believed to be the most eastern cliff of the Silurian klint as well as one of the most beautiful places in Läänemaa. The relative height of the cliff is 15 metres. The Silmaallika spring that used to be considered a holy place flows out of the cliff wall. The slope is covered by a species-rich alvar forest, while a rare boreo-nemoral forest covers the area below the cliff. Salevere Salumägi is located 1.5 km along a well-maintained RMK (State Forest Management Centre) hike trail. The remnants of an ancient castle and a low castle wall are also detectable at Salumägi.

Treasurehunt! Coordinates: 58o41´27.3“N 23o35´22.1“E

When You are approaching to the spring, snake-shape tree on the right will quide You to the trasure. Packed in black plastic bag and bound with towy rope (measurements 10 x 10 cm).

Read more


Kaali Meteorite Crater Field

         

The Kaali meteor crater field was created by the meteor fragments that fell on Saaremaa and left craters of various sizes in the dolomite bedrock. Kaali crater is eight among the world’s giant craters and a rare natural monument in Estonia; it is also the most impressive crater field in Eurasia.

Read more


Sõrve peninsula

             

The picturesque tip of Sõrve peninsula is the southernmost tip of Saaremaa. The approximately 1 km long strip of land covered in limestone gravel ends in deep seawater. Sõrve is one of the best bird watching locations in Estonia. The old lighthouse campus has been restored as the Sõrve Visiting Centre that has exhibits on the lighthouse and maritime rescue. Sõrve lighthouse is 52 m tall being one of the tallest in Estonia.

Read more


Kesse islet

     

Kesselaid, situated between Muhu Island and mainland Estonia, is the oldest and tallest islet in Estonia.

Read more


Matsalu National Park

   

The permanent exhibition of the Matsalu Nature Centre on the second floor of the Penijõe Manor house offers visitors a good chance to learn about the unique character of Matsalu National Park. Here you can find the largest natural floodplain meadows in Estonia, reed beds, the evolving of lower Kasari River through decades, unique coastal meadows, wooded meadows and forest stands, rich cultural heritage.

Read more


Kõmsi burial mounds

 

There are fenced burial mounds near Kõmsi's Orthodox church that are more than 2500 years old. One of the mounds was left open after its unearthing and the other has been reconstructed. Kõmsi burial mounds indicate that the place used to be one of the earliest settlements in Western Estonia.

Read more


Hanila Church

     

Hanila Church, built in the 13th century, is one of the most stylish early Gothic sacred buildings in the Saare-Lääne region.

In the west wall of the church you should pay attention to the stairs leading to the vaults and the baroque-style pulpit and carved altar. Also of interest are the gravestones of interesting shapes, probably dating back to the early medieval times, in the cemetery near the church.
 

Read more


Hanila Museum

     

Hanila Museum has been named in honour of the local cultural historian and honorary citizen August Tambärg, whose lifework was to maintain the local cultural heritage for future generations and who was among the museum’s founders. The museum operates in the old Hanila schoolhouse, where materials related to Hanila’s history and cultural heritage are collected and displayed.
 
Treasurehunt! Coordinates: 58o36´48.8“N 23o36´14.3“E

Treasure is hidden on the road of river under three stones. Packed in black plastic bag and bound with towy rope (measurements 10 x 10 cm).

Read more


Maasi Ordensburg

     

Maasi Ordensburg was constructed after suppressing the Saare folks’ uprising on St. George’s Night in 1345. The castle is a of a dwelling tower type with massive limestone walls, arches and a three-storey curtain wall. The castle was destroyed in 1576 by the Danes that lorded over Saaremaa. 

Read more


Angla windmill hill

       

Angla windmill hill that a century ago became the home of an entire village worth of windmills is the only hill open to wind in Saaremaa that has preserved its original appearance. The Angla Heritage Culture Centre that provides courses on the handicraft techniques of our ancestors and organises events that introduce the local heritage culture and cuisine now resides on a windmill hill.

Read more


Panga cliff

         

Panga cliff is nearly 3 km long and up to 21.3 m tall, making it the highest coastal precipice in Western Estonia. Actually, the cliff is not just one but three cliff precipices put together. The cliff is abundant in fossils.

Read more


Jaagu-Mihkli sacred stone

 

Jaagu-Mihkli sacred stone is located in Ridase Village and is a huge Rapakivi (bog stone) granite glacial erratic. The stone’s vertical sides were used as a place of sacrifice in ancient times.
Stone dimensions: length 2.11 m, width 8.2 m, height 4.3 m, the circumference 30.1 m.  
In olden times on St John's Eve the stone was used as a place for lighting bofires and dancing.

Read more


Võiküla cobblestone road

 

Võiküla cobblestone road that begins at Kuivastu harbour is one of the few well-preserved cobblestone roads in Saaremaa. The approximately 3 km cobblestone road was constructed over twoyears from 1914 to 1916 in order to build and supply the coastal defence batteries.

Read more


Rannaniidi cliffs

   

Rannaniidi cliffs (5 altogether) are located on the northeastern tip of Muhu Island along approximately 1.5 km. The eroding effect of coastal ice can often be clearly seen on the Rannaniidi cliffs. The maximal height of the cliffs is 3.5 m. The tallest of the cliffs, Püssina cliff, is approximately 60 m long and up to 5.6 m tall.

Read more


Üügu cliff

   

Üügu cliff, which is the largest and most beautiful of the Muhu Island cliffs, is located 150 m from the coast. The cliff precipice is 0.5 km long and stands 10 m from sea level. The cliff contains curious sea notches that form caves of various sizes. The Silmaallika spring that has been claimed to have healing properties is located right next to the cliff.

Read more


Muhu Katariina Church

       

Muhu Katariina Church, which was probably built in the 13th century, is one of the most beautiful limestone sacred buildings on the islands. As characteristic to fortified churches built on Saaremaa during the Middle Ages, Muhu Church lacks a tower. Intricate details have been carved into the church’s dolomite. The church is located at the heart of Muhu Island in Liiva Village.

Read more


Koguva Village

       

Koguva Village can be considered one of the best examples of Estonian peasant architecture. All of the village’s buildings are protected as architectural heritage sites. The stone fences in the village are over 200 years old. The village is known as the birthplace of Juhan Smuul. Koguva Village is also home to the Muhu Museum that has chosen Juhan Smuul’s home farm, Tooma farm, as their headquarters.

Read more


Suuriku cliff

   

At 11 m tall and 1.6 km long, Suuriku cliff is a grand and majestic sight – it is also the second tallest coastal precipice on the islands after Panga cliff. The cliff is covered by a specific looking pinewood forest. An underwater terrace in the sea in front of Suuriku cliff has wrecked many ships and taken many lives.

Read more


Kuriku cliff

   

Kuriku cliff is situated nearly 200 m from Suuriku and, at its 1.3 km length and 4.5 m height, is significantly smaller from its sister cliff.

Read more


Undva cliff

   

The length of the Undva, i.e. Tõrvasoo, cliff is approximately 500 m and its height is 2 m. The cliff and coastline are in constant change due to wind and storms. The internationally endangered Steller’s eider migrates to the bay below Undva cliff for the winter.

Read more


Kuressaare Castle

           

Kuressaare Castle’s convent building is the only remaining medieval defence structure without significant reconstructions. Construction of the castle, which was intended as the residence of bishops, probably began already at the end of the 13th century. The castle was reinforced and renewed during the following centuries by both the ruling Danes and Swedes. The castle has been thoroughly reconstructed and houses the Saaremaa Museum, which has exhibits about Saaremaa’s history and nature.

Read more


Ruhnu Island

           

Ruhnu Island is just a two-hour boat ride away from Roomassaare harbour. The Ruhnu wooden church is most likely the oldest preserved wooden building in Estonia. It has an air of tar and old wood, and an intricately carved pulpit and windows covered in glimmering rubies. The church was completed in 1644 and its architecture is unique in the whole of Europe. A glass painting collection from the Ruhnu wooden church is still kept at the Stockholm history museum. Those six 17th century glass paintings are considered the oldest and most valuable
collection of Estonian glass art. A new Ruhnu church was completed just three steps away from the old wooden church in 1912.

Read more


Valjala Church

       

Valjala Church was initially built as a chapel immediately after conquering the Valjala hillfort in 1227 to mark the victory. The church started to take shape a century later – and as was customary in Saaremaa – as a fortress church. A tower was added in the 17th century. Valjala Church is the oldest preserved rural church in Estonia.

Read more


Pöide hillfort

 

The Pöide, i.e. Kahutsi, hillfort is oval in shape and is also among the oldest prehistoric forts in Saaremaa. The outer slope is 11 m tall and has been preserved rather well. Legends claim that the fort is connected to the nearby Pöide Church by an underground tunnel.

Read more


Lümanda Lime Park

       

The Lümanda Lime and Tar Distilling Park adventure trail lets you get acquainted with 70–90-year-old conserved lime production stoves and centuries old lime producing technology. Once you’ve gone through the theme park, it is also possible to watch the movie In the Lime Circle that describes the entire lime production process and the
possible uses of lime. The area has historically been known as a lime quarry and a kiln region. The remnants of up to 16 lime production stoves have been found on the 10–15 hectare area.

Read more


Vatla hillfort

 

Vatla hillfort was probably the centre of the ancient Karuse Parish in the 11th–13th century. Vatla castle is one of the most impressive castles from the end of the prehistoric era in Western Estonia.  The castle has been built on the edge of a moraine ridge and its diameter is 42–60 metres. This at times 11 metre high hillside offers an excellent view of the surrounding terrain and the sea 5 km away.

Read more


Tuhu mire

   

Tuhu mire began to develop more than 5,000 years ago when the local relict lakes began to turn into mires. It is captivatingly beautiful in May when the mire is covered in white bogbean blooms. The walkway and observation tower await hikers - 1,1 km long hiking trail.

Read more


Vatla Manor

   

Vatla Manor was built at the end of the 16th century. It was acquired in 1807 by Otto von Rosen, who built the early classicist manor ensemble that is among the most beautiful in Läänemaa. The Vatla Manor ensemble is unique – for instance, when you stand in one of the house’s corners, the other corner is out of sight. The manor currently houses the Vatla elementary school; the horse stables have been turned into a gym, while the local culture centre has taken residence in the granary.

Treasurehunt! Coordinates: 58o33´41.7“N 23o43´13.1“E

Treasure is in the bird hotel. You need to have good balance or swimming skills to get the trasure! Packed in black plastic bag and bound with towy rope (measurements 10 x 10 cm).

Read more


Laelatu wooded meadow

 

Laelatu wooded meadow is one of the largest preserved wooded meadows in Northern Europe.

The area has been mowed and used for centuries. 76 plant species have been found there on one square metre, making it the most versatile wooded meadow in the world. In addition, two-thirds of all orchids that grow in Estonia are also represented here.

Read more


Puhtu islet

     

Puhtu islet is only an islet by name – a causeway leads to the current peninsula. Birdwatchers from Europe and even further gather in spring at the bird watching tower on the southwestern tip of the peninsula to observe the migration of arctic birds. In the fall, passerines and pigeons can also be seen there amongst the migratory birds. Two trees – a 24 m tall and 360-year-old pine and a grand old oak with a circumference of 4.8 m and a height of 24 m – also attract visitors.

Treasurehunt! Coordinates: 58o33´11.4“N 23o32´50.3“E

Treasure is in the cross-stone side of the birdwach tower.Packed in black plastic bag and bound with towy rope (measurements 10 x 10 cm).

Read more


Kirsi Rarity Museum

   

The Kirsi Rarity Museum is located on the edge of Virtsu hamlet and depicts the development of old vehicles. Horse drawn vehicles, bikes, cars – the exhibits are of all sorts. The museum guarantees an interesting glimpse into the history of the wheel.

Read more


Ruins of the Virtsu vassal castle

       

The ruins of the Virtsu vassal castle commemorate the castle type building from the 15th century that used to be the Saare-Lääne bishopric’s stronghold for monitoring and guarding ship traffic between the mainland and the island. The castle was destroyed in 1533 by enemies. The reconstruction of the castle was forbidden a few years later by the Valmiera Diet.

Read more


Virtsu lighthouse

 

Virtsu lighthouse has a sad history. In fact, the current Virtsu lighthouse is already the fourth to light the Suur Väin. The current four-sided lighthouse stands 19 m above the sea level.

Read more


Väike Väin causeway

 

The Väike Väin causeway connects Muhu Island to Saaremaa. Construction was carried out simultaneously on both shores of the strait; the causeway was opened in 1896. In spring and fall, the reed fields surrounding the causeway attract large flocks of waterfowl.

Read more


Orissaare stadium oak

       

The Orissaare stadium oak stands in the middle of the Orissaare hamlet. In 2015, the oak won the European tree title. The tree was initially located next to the stadium, but when the stadium was expanded in 1951, the oak all of a sudden stood in the middle of a football stadium – not only unique in Estonia but over the world.

Read more


Pulli cliff

     

Pulli cliff has been abraded by the waves, which means that the outcrop is always clean and the geological composition easily visible. Pulli cliff is especially fascinating due to another elevation of the escarpment that is located beneath the sea. The currents going against it create audible hum in quiet weather.

Treasurehunt! Coordinates: 58o36´52.5“N 22o57´14.6“E

You can see big chunc of stone and a rowan near it, treasure is hided under rowans root, but don`t dig. Packed in black plastic bag and bound with towy rope (measurements 10 x 10 cm).

Read more


Jaani Church

 

Jaani Church, built at the end of the 17th century as a leper church, is the smallest limestone church in Saaremaa as well as the one closest to the sea. It is one of a small number of Baroque churches constructed in Estonian rural areas before the Great Northern War.
 

Read more


Leisi Orthodox Church

 

Leisi Orthodox Church was built in 1873. The mid-19th century Saaremaa saw several consecutive years of crop failure. Rumours spread that by signing up with the state authorities, one could be freed from the manor’s obligations and the emperor would give land to converts. At least 30% of Saaremaa’s then population converted to the Apostolic Orthodox Church – that’s why one can spy a lot of small onion-domed Orthodox churches around Saaremaa.

Read more


Karja Church

 

Karja Church is like a jewellery box – it hides more carved sculpture, décor and arch and wall murals with mysterious pagan motifs than any of our other medieval rural churches. The well-preserved 13th century architecture and rich decorations make the church one of a kind in all of Northern Europe.

Read more


Paatsa hillfort

   

The Paatsa hillfort that has a round ridge originating from the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries is also located nearby, in Paatsa Village. An unfortified village used to stand in the same location in the 11th to 13th centuries.

Read more


Küdema and Lepakõrve sinkholes

 

Küdema and Lepakõrve sinkholes are among the largest and most interesting karst phenomena in Saaremaa and are located between coastal ridges that have become dunes over time. The Küdema sinkhole is located south of Küdema Village and is, in essence, a 35 m long and 5 m deep cenote. The Lepajärve sinkhole is located 3–4 km northeast of Küdema Village, along the road that leads to Paatsa Village across coastal ridges. The length of the sinkhole is about 120 m and its depth is 7 m. Nowadays, the riverbed that flows into the sinkhole is only filled with water in spring.

Read more


Ninase cliff

   

Ninase cliff is approximately 1.5 km long and a little over 5 m tall. A 12 m tall nature observation tower is situated 200 m from the sea. A memorial dedicated to the men and women lost in the MS Estonia catastrophe stands atop the cliff. The lower part of the cliff is accessible from the Tagaranna Village side and has some wonderful examples of marl (a lime-rich mud, i.e. mudstone), which is covered by limestone. The cliff rock contains bountiful examples of shell and crinoid fragments.

Read more


Abula cliff

   

Abula cliff is a modest, approximately 2 m tall and 400 m long rubbly terrace. Geologists call the northern tip of the cliff “skull beach” because of the stromatoporoidea, washed round by the sea. Information on the nature trails in the area is available from the RMK Mustjala Nature House.

Try also RMK 6,8 km long hiking trail.

Read more


Merise cliff

   

At the tip of Merise cape, 7 km north of Abula cliff along a small forest path is the 250 m long and at times 2.5 m tall Merise cliff. The forest near Merise Village hides the largest glacial erratic in Mustjala County – the Merise glacial erratic that has a staggering height of 4.5 m and a circumference of 22 m.

Read more


Kaande meteor shower spot

 

The spot of the Kaande meteor shower, which took place in 1855, is also located in Merise Village. This was the first meteor in Estonia with recorded sightings and remaining pieces of the fallen meteor. The diameter of the rock meteor was 30 cm and it left a 40 cm deep and 45 cm diameter indent in the ground.

Read more


Kalja sinkholes

   

Kalja cenotes (i.e. sinkholes) and underwater rivers create a mysterious natural phenomenon during the spring floods. There are altogether 7 larger sinkholes, the largest of which is 18 m wide and 6 m deep. Water from the river that starts from Karujärv Lake – a nearly 8,000-year-old lake and also the oldest lake in Saaremaa – flows into the Kalja sinkholes and underground rivers and resurfaces a few kilometres away in an ancient holy grove
at the Hiieniidi springs. Karst areas are a common phenomenon in Saaremaa due to its cracked limestone
bedrock.

Get to know the area using RMK 1,0 km long hiking trail.

Read more


Pidula Manor

       

Pidula Manor was built in the 16th century, quite immediately after the Great Northern War. Before that, this used to be the location of a leper shelter. The main building of the manor is a single-storey dolomite construction in the simple Baroque style characteristic of Saaremaa. Various ancillary buildings have been preserved. Pidula Manor provides accommodation, catering and recreational services.

Read more


Odalätsi springs

 

Water enters the Odalätsi springs from the nearby mires and Karujärv Lake, and flows along the underwater karst cracks towards the sea. Water exits the springs through a great number of openings. Legend tells us that the holes were stomped in the ground by the raging Old Devil after he had been defeated by Suur Tõll. Another legend claims that those who wash their face and hands with the spring water will remain forever young.

Read more


Vilsandi National Park

               

Vilsandi National Park covers nearly 240 km2 – the majority of that territory is taken up by the coastal waters rich in islets (a little over 160 in total), while only a third is on the mainland. The predecessor of the national park is the oldest bird sanctuary in the Baltic States – the Vaika Island Bird Sanctuary created in 1910. The nature of the national park has been shaped by the mild sea climate; it is rich in seafowl and has the largest grey seal haul-out and breeding area in the Baltic Sea, flora that is rich in rare species, as well as geological and architectural sites.

Read more


Loona Manor

             

The centre of the Vilsandi National Park is located in the Loona manor ensemble. The permanent display introduces the nature and history of the national park; there are also regular showings of nature films about the national park and Saaremaa. The nearby Kivimaja (Stone House) houses a geological exhibit.

Loona manor works as a hotel, it has its own restaurant and they provide great variation of nature tours and hikes. 

Read more


Tagamõisa wooded meadow

 

Tagamõisa wooded meadow is a beautiful meadow with grand oaks and versatile flora. Wooded meadows are among the oldest nature communities that humans have been shaping for thousands of years. In fact, 30% of Saaremaa’s territory used to be covered by wooded meadows only a century ago. Tagamõisa wooded meadow is the largest in Saaremaa and third most species-rich in Estonia – a total of 67 species have been listed on one square meter.

Read more


Harilaid peninsula

   

Harilaid is a sandy-pebbly peninsula that reaches into the sea and rose from the seabed about 2,000 years ago. The 8 km walk on RMK hiking trail allows you to admire beautiful sand beaches, small bays, surprising coastal lakes, the unusual and delicate flora that includes several protected species, moss and lichen fields, and also bird watch and, if you’re really lucky, even spy a seal or few. The 26 m tall Kiipsaare lighthouse, which was constructed in 1933, stands at the tip of the peninsula. Due to the moving sands, the lighthouse will sometimes stand at a tilt but perfectly straight at another time.

Read more


Jaagarahu quarry

 

Jaagarahu used to be the home of a large harbour built in the beginning of the previous century to export the valuable local coral-limestone to Europe. A flooded limestone quarry is located just near the harbour. The quarry used to be connected to the harbour by a railroad – hundreds of people deported from their homes during the Soviet Era, in 1941 and 1945, began their journey to Siberia from Jaagarahu. The harbour was destroyed in a
powerful storm in 1969.

Read more


Mihkli Farm Museum

       

Mihkli Farm Museum in Viki Village is one of the most peculiar museums in Estonia. No collection work was required to open the museum – in addition to the already complete building complex, the location also had a rich supply in well-preserved commodities. The items in the museum have almost exclusively been made by hand by the inhabitants of the farm over the course of two centuries and six generations.

Read more


Lihulinna hillfort

   

Lihulinna hillfort in Nõmpa Village is the most awe-inspiring hillfort in Saaremaa. The castle is located 7 km from Kärdla, far away from villages, in a forested area on sand dunes and partly surrounded by mires.

Read more


The centre of Europe

   

Of course, one cannot forget that the centre of Europe is in Mõnnuste Village. Though Europe has several centrepoints, the actual centre of Europe, considering all islands and most distant corners, is in Mõnnuste.

Treasurehunt! Coordinates: 58o18´33.7“N 22o16´30.8“E

Trasure is under stone slap near the junipery pasture. Packed in black plastic bag and bound with towy rope (measurements 10 x 10 cm).

Read more


Kihelkonna Mihkli Church

 

Kihelkonna Mihkli Church was built in the 2nd half of the 13th century and is the tallest church in Saaremaa. The church’s arch murals from the 13th century can still be seen today. The oldest organ in Estonia with 14 registers was built in 1805. The bell tower that is situated a few hundred metres from the main building was constructed in 1638. The bell tower is unique in all of the Baltic States, as it is the oldest remaining separate bell tower. A new
bell was fitted in the tower in 2009 and it now rings again at noon. The current tower was added to the initial church at the end of the 19th century.

Read more


Vilsandi islands

       

Vilsandi islands look versatile despite their small size – the islands have dolomite coastal cliffs, coastal meadows, sand beaches, reed fields, alvars covered in pinewood forests, stone fences, etc. Vilsandi is one of the sunniest places in Estonia – the area only sees approximately 90 sunless days a year. Due to the large number of marine birds, the 2,000-year-old Vilsandi Island is also known as bird paradise. The 37 m tall Vilsandi lighthouse that was constructed in 1809 is the oldest in Saaremaa. Vilsandi can be accessed by boat from Papissaare harbour or by foot from Käkisilma beach.

Read more


Leedri village

   

Leedri Village appeared near Lümanda Manor at the end of the 13th century. Many of the traditional cluster village’s stone fences have been well preserved, making it one of the most beautiful villages in Western Saaremaa; the village slightly resembles Koguva Village in Muhumaa. Leedri is somewhat different from other Saaremaa villages as it has a dense and extremely well preserved historical road network, squares and stone fences. The tall, stylish and very old legendary stone fences form a protected heritage site.

Read more


Elda cliff

   

Elda cliff is known for its special angular and thick limestone slates and the smooth limestone outcrop beach. The island’s beaches used to be closed off during the Soviet Era, and a decaying Soviet border guard tower still watches over Elda cliff. Most of the strange ruins on our beaches originate from that era.

Read more


Soeginina cliff

   

Soeginina cliff is up to 3 m tall and 500 m long. Due to its peculiar structure, the Soeginina rock is often called “bulb limestone”. Soeginina cliff looks rather special – the roots of the birch trees growing on top of the cliff wiggle out from the cracks in the cliff wall, some so long that they reach the sea. A view opens from Soeginina cliff to Innarahu, where grey seals haul-out and breed during mild winters.

Read more


Katri cliff

   

Katri cliff is difficult to get to during wet seasons due to the flood-meadow blocking the path. The modest 0.5 km terrace is abundant in fossils. The cliff used to have a border guard tower and observation point during the Soviet Era – some signs of the era can still be noted in the surrounding nature.

Read more


Pilguse Manor

     

Pilguse manor ensemble developed in the 16th century and is currently under state protection as an architectural heritage site, especially due to the main building, gate structure and rare limestone fence system. The Russian world traveller and Antarctic explorer Fabian von Bellingshausen (1778–1852) spend his childhood at the manor.
A guesthouse that also offers catering to the tired summer traveller has taken residence in the manor.

Read more


Viidumäe Nature Preservation Area

     

Viidumäe Nature Preservation Area aims at protecting rare species, communities and habitats. The preservation area is situated in the oldest and highest part of Saaremaa that rises 59 m above sea level. The area is botanically extremely rich – for instance, both the Saaremaa yellow rattle and alpine butterwort grow here. More information on RMK 1,6 km long hiking trail is available at the Visiting Centre of the Viidumäe Nature Preservation Area.

Read more


The discovery site of the ancient Salme ships

     

The discovery site of the ancient Salme ships is located on the banks of Salme River. This is where in 2008 and 2010 archaeologists dug up an extraordinary find in the whole of Europe – two Scandinavian origin burial ships for warriors from the 8th century. Battle signs on the skeletons and the accompanying artefacts indicate that the ships were used to bury Scandinavian lords and their men who had come to Saaremaa on a pillaging trip.

Read more


Kaugatuma cliff

     

Kaugatuma cliff is visible along a 2 km stretch of beach somewhat further from the coast – an area that is threatened by rapid levelling and invasive plants. The local rock contains huge amounts of round crinoid stem links. This ring-limestone can be seen on the limestone floor approximately 100 m from the coast. A “fibre cement beach” is located a few kilometres from Kaugatuma at Lõu outcrop that gets its name from the seawater ripples that fossilised there 400 million years ago.

Treasurehunt! Coordinates: 58o07´51.4“N 22o13´02.0“E

Two junipers and rowan between them. Treasure is under juniper. Packed in black plastic bag and bound with towy rope (measurements 10 x 10 cm).

Read more


Lõpe-Kaimri anti-tank defences

 

Lõpe-Kaimri anti-tank defences were built during WWII. The long incessant line of pyramid-like structures made of concrete elements that runs along meadows and fields was intended to crush the enemy tank’s treads and tear the armour. The defence line that has been overtaken by shrubbery can still partly be seen.

Read more


Rahuste costal terrain

 

The Rahuste coastal terrain has been formed by long-term cooperation between humans and nature. The coastal meadow is among the best preserved and most beautiful in Estonia. A thick boulder field lies west of Rahuste Village. All crystalline rock boulders and pebbles on the islands’ beaches and further inland originate from the mountains in Scandinavia, the cliffs in Finland and partly from the bottom of the Baltic Sea. They have travelled
here with the last continental glacier that passed over the area 25,000–12,000 years ago.

Read more


Jämaja Church

 

Jämaja Church got its present form during extensive reconstructions in 1864. The Jämaja cemetery is the closest to the sea of any cemetery in Estonia. The cemetery has two memorials dedicated to the crews of two ships wrecked at different times. The Buxhoeveden chapel at the cemetery is also the oldest stone building in Saaremaa.

Read more